A beheaded rattlesnake bit a Corpus Christi, Texas, man, releasing an extreme amount of venom into his body.
A gardener nearly died when he was bitten by a rattlesnake after he chopped its head off.
Jennifer was working in a flower bed when she discovered an invader that was much more sinister than pesky weeds.
The severed head released all of its venom into the victim, according to KIII, leaving him temporarily blinded, suffering from seizures, and bleeding internally.
"Some people are saying we deserve it, it's karma", Ms Sutcliffe said.
Jeremy Sutcliffe, 40, had to be administered with 26 doses of antivenom to try and keep him alive, having slipped into a coma when the severed head bit him.
He was eventually airlifted to Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital, Jennifer said. And though there are about 7-8,000 snake bites from venomous snakes in the USA each year, only about 10-12 of them, on average, result in fatalities, says trauma surgeon Michael Halpert. The population of these snakes is so high that a special event is held in Sweetwater, Texas to get rid of excess rattlesnakes every year. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he underwent 26 doses of antivenom.
"No, you don't want to do any of that", he explained. The man then beheaded the snake with with a shovel.
Dying from a snake bite is rare, Michael Halpert, a trauma surgeon in Corpus Christi, told KIII. Live Science reports that for venomous snakes like cobras and rattlesnakes, biting is one of the reflexes that can be triggered in the brain even hours after the reptile dies. He's now in stable condition.