Trump says summit with North Korea could still go ahead

'A lot of dial tones': The inside story of how Trump's North Korea summit fell apart

North Korea says it's still willing to meet with Trump after US President cancels summit

The official statement out of North Korea said Kim sees the need for an upcoming meeting between the nations as "urgent".

"I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and, indeed, a setback for the world", said the president in noontime remarks in the White House Roosevelt Room before signing an unrelated bill.

"It could even be the 12th, we're talking to them now, they very much want to do it, we want to do it, we're going to see what happens", Trump told reporters at the White House Friday. "We're talking to them now", he said. "We'd like to do it".

Kim said the U.S.' decision to cancel the upcoming talks demonstrates how serious the animosity between the North and the US remains, which he said underlines the urgent need of a summit between the leaders of the two countries.

He also added that North Korea remained open to resolving issues with Washington "regardless of ways, at any time, any format".

Though President Trump isn't ruling out the potential for a June 12th summit to move forward, a senior administration official told reporters Thursday evening that it would be hard at this point to properly organize a meeting on June 12th, as previously planned, given the short timeline. The Blue House said Thursday that it was trying to figure out Trump's intentions in canceling the summit.

Fifteen minutes after his initial Tweets, Trump tried to sound a hopeful note on the North Korea situation, following a statement from a top North Korean official saying it is still willing to meet the U.S. The U.S. announcement came not long after Kim appeared to make good on his promise to demolish his country's nuclear test site. The statement was issued in response to Trump's abrupt cancellation of the June summit between the two countries in the USA bid to get North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapon.

Trump's latest about-face sent officials scrambling in Washington.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says there is "possibly some good news" about a U.S.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Katina Adams declined to give details of any diplomatic contacts but said: "As the president said in his letter to Chairman Kim, dialogue between the two is the only dialogue that matters".


According to a senior White House official, "the president dictated every word of the letter himself".

"He wants to get something that's a long-lasting and an actual real solution. And if they are they are ready to do that then. we're certainly ready to have those conversations", she said.

Trump did react to an overnight statement from the Kim government in which it praised Trump for even being willing to hold one-on-one talks. That statement referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy" for his comments on the North and said it was up to the Americans whether they would "meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown". Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi was deposed and killed by NATO-backed militants after halting his nascent nuclear program. "But it's Trump. He's decided not to enter talks while being pushed (by North Korea) like this", said Choi Kang, vice president of Seoul's Asan Institute for Policy Studies.

"That's the same for a number of countries, especially China - China is crucial in this". One analyst marveled that the North Korean response was "close to an apology letter".

In his statement to the North, Trump said: "If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write".

Cheshire said: "If you think back to a year ago, when he was a pariah, well, he's had all these meetings where he has become more of an global (figure) than a despot back home, especially that historic meeting in the Demilitarised Zone between North and South Korea".

But the GOP president did not limit his morning criticism of the opposition party to its reaction to his summit decision.

Many observers had expected a belligerent North Korean response to Trump's cancellation, but the comments by Kim, the North's vice foreign minister, seemed, at times, nearly meek, and in stark contrast to the bellicose declarations a year ago of the North's willingness to pursue nuclear war.

It has said in previous, failed talks that it could consider giving up its arsenal if the United States provided security guarantees by removing its troops from South Korea and withdrawing its so-called nuclear umbrella of deterrence from South Korea and Japan.

Latest News