Florida Man Says His AirPods Blew Up, Apple Investigating

Apple is investigating why one AirPod caught on fire in Florida

Apple AirPods 'blew up' in man's ear while he was working out at the gym

Calling it "the craziest thing I ever went through", a Tampa, Florida man claims that one of his two AirPods mysteriously "blew apart" and was burnt to charred crisp - though not before quickly removing them from his ears during a routine workout, local NBC News affiliate, Channel 8, reports.

Jason Colon was exercising at LA Fitness in Tampa, Florida, when he noticed smoke coming out of his headphones. "And then I saw white smoke start billowing out".

Colon made a decision to leave it on a piece of workout equipment and seek help, but when he returned, the earphone apparently was good as gone. Colon told the TV station that "It was already popped".

Apple AirPods are displayed during a media event in San Francisco, Sept. 7, 2016. I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! "You can see flame damage", he told WFLA. "He's thankful he thought to remove the wireless AirPods when he sensed trouble".


"I don't know what would've happened to my ear", Colon said.

Apple has said that it is investigating the issue and plans to reach out to Colon.

Such reports have continued to plague Samsung, which first issued a voluntary recall of its Galaxy Note 7 phones because of a "battery issue" on September 2, offering to give replacement phones to customers who had bought the devices. By throttling the phone, Apple has been extending the life of the device by avoiding unnecessary crashes - but whether having a phone that's incredibly slow is a worthwhile tradeoff for a more stable operation is questionable for many iPhone owners.

Earlier the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was in news for the same reasons of battery explosions leaving the users concerned about their safety using mobile devices.

Latest News