Man dies in Nair Hospital after getting sucked into MRI machine

Mumbai Man dies in Nair Hospital after getting sucked into MRI machine

Representative image | AFP

Any metallic objects, such as pins, screws, jewellery, clothing with metallic fibres or threads, zippers, buttons, hooks, or underwire are not allowed inside the MRI room.

One ward boy who had given the oxygen cylinder containing metal to Rajesh Maru has been suspended by the hospital Dean. They also refused to claim Maru's body from the JJ Hospital unless action was taken. He was allegedly allowed to enter the MRI room at BYL Nair Charitable Hospital with a metal oxygen cylinder, which was helping the patient breathe.

Police said preliminary reports suggested that the man had died from inhaling liquid oxygen that leaked from the cylinder. We, nonetheless, voiced doubts about the cylinder and wondered whether it should be carried inside, but the ward boy shrugged us off and said, "Mera roj ka kaam hai" (it is our daily work).

A resident of Lalbaug, Maru worked as a salesman and was the only earning member of the family, according to Solanki.

Mr Maru's family allege he was told it was OK to bring an oxygen tank into the MRI room.

Maru's relative Harish Solanki said a ward boy standing outside the room told him it was okay to carry the oxygen cylinder inside.


"One of my family members objected, saying the oxygen cylinder should not be allowed inside as it is metallic and can prove risky".

Mumbai Police spokesperson DCP Deepak Deoraj said Dr. Shah and the ward boy, Vittal Chavan, were arrested on Sunday evening and charged with causing death due to negligence. An MRI machine is a powerful tool used to create medical imaging of human anatomies using strong magnetic fields and radio waves. His left hand got wedged between the oxygen cylinder and the MRI machine. "After hearing this commotion, we all rushed inside the room and pulled him out of the machine", he said.

Another relative said a doctor, and an ayah were inside the MRI room at the time of the incident.

A man died after he was sucked into an MRI machine at a hospital run by the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation late on Saturday.

External implants like pacemakers, insulin pumps and other devices like ventilator or patient monitor can also affect the MRI diagnosis. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the family of the victim.

Latest News