The US Public Interest Research Group (US PIRG) found that the Fidget Wild Premium Spinner Brass tested at 33,000 parts per million for lead, which is more than 300 times the 100 parts per million allowable for children's toys. Now, new research shows that some of the popular spinners sold at Target contain dangerously high levels of lead. And the Fidget Wild Premium Spinner Metal center circle tested for 1,300 ppm of lead. Incredibly, Target and its distributor Bulls i Toy defend their inaction by pointing to the Consumer Product Safety Commission's (CPSC) declaration that fidget spinners are not technically "children's products" subject to legal limits for lead.
If you've purchased these toys and are anxious about lead exposure, U.S. PIRG is advising consumers to stop using the two fidget spinner models immediately, and to place them in a bag out of reach of children.
Target is selling fidget spinners with potentially unsafe lead levels, according to a new study.
PRIG is calling for Target to issue a recall on the fidget spinners. "The CPSC, Target and Bulls i Toy need to acknowledge the obvious - that all fidget spinners are toys".
Lead exposure can be extremely risky for children, potentially impacting mental development among other risks. "The two fidget spinners cited in their letter are clearly marked on the package as 'appropriate for customers ages 14 and older, ' and are not marketed to children", the statement continued. "All of our product [s] are tested and comply with CPSC safety standards".
Target responded that those particular models were not recommended for consumers under the age of 14, negating prescribed lead restrictions for children.
PIRG disputed the designation and claimed its representatives found the toxic fidget spinners in toy aisles at Target stores. "We can't sit idly by while children play with these toxic toys - and yes, these are toys". Furthermore, per Business Insider the products are sold alongside kids toys.
"It's on the center, it's the part that you're interacting with, so it's definitely a hazard for children", said Tamara Rubin, who runs the "Lead Safe Mama" blog.