Violence Erupts After Vigil for Slain Georgia Tech Student

Three people arrested and students ordered to shelter in place at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta during violent protests

3 arrested in Georgia Tech protests after vigil for student killed by police

However, CNN reported that afterward, about 50 people marched in protest toward the campus police station.

What started out as a peaceful vigil on September 18 for Scout Schultz-the student shot by police two days prior in what looks to have been a suicide by cop-turned violent after about 50 protesters marched on the Georgia Tech police department.

The student, Scout Schultz, 21, died at a local hospital from a single gunshot wound, according to a statement by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is investigating the altercation.

Tyler Beck - identified Tuesday in a Georgia Bureau of Investigation statement as the officer who shot Scout Schultz - joined the Georgia Tech Police Department in 2016 after serving on the department's Community Outreach and Engagement, or CORE, unit.

"In the call, Shultz describes the person as a white male, with long blond hair, white T-shirt and blue jeans who is possibly intoxicated, holding a knife and possibly armed with a gun on his hip", Miles said, adding that three suicide notes were found in Schultz's dorm room. The fourth-year computer engineering student used the name Scout, rather than the given name Scott, and preferred the pronouns "they" and "them" rather than "he" or "him".

Lynne Schultz told the Journal-Constitution over the weekend that her oldest child had struggled with depression and attempted suicide two years ago.

"Scout's sudden and tragic death today has been", the university's dean of students, John Stein, wrote in a statement obtained by NBC News.

A demonstration protesting the death of an LGBT student leader at the hands of police was the site of violence at Georgia Tech's Atlanta campus.

In a statement released through attorney Chris Stewart, Schultz's family urged protesters to remain peaceful.

Schultz was reported to be "disorientated", supposedly in the middle of a nervous breakdown, and the officers involved have faced accusations of excessive force in their actions against her. Scout Schultz spent this past summer at home and there were no obvious problems when school resumed last month, the elder Schultz said.

Georgia Tech President G.P. "Bud" Peterson sent an email to the school community to reassure students that there would be "opportunities for dialogue" and "additional resources as needed for healing". The parents said they plan to sue the police and university.

"I tend to think that if there was a cause, it might have been anger at the police over all the shootings", Bill Schultz said. And since January 2015, USA police have killed at least 392 people who were armed with knives, blades or other edged weapons - 102 deaths this year alone, including Schultz.

The video that was shared online and broadcast on cable news showed the student ambling down the street in front of a parking garage toward two police officers with their guns drawn.

Channel 2's Steve Gehlbach was on the campus Tuesday morning, where he saw students writing supportive messages and thanks to the officers.

Investigators said a multipurpose tool that contained a knife was recovered from the scene.

A third officer's voice can be heard telling Schultz not to move, and the student responded by walking toward that officer.

"We love you Scout and we will continue to push for change".

"We ask that those who wish to protest Scout's death do so peacefully".

Latest News